A recipe by Thomas Sampl:
“SCHNÜSCH” WITH BAY LEAF-INFUSED MILK AND ROOT VEG
100 g peas (fresh or frozen)
1 bunch of chives
300 g potatoes
50 g butter
50 g flour
500 ml milk
1 bay leaf
2 pinches of nutmeg
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
0,100 ml rapeseed oil
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO MAKING THE DISH
1. Wash and peel the carrots and parsnips. Lay out the baking paper and cover with the root veg.
2. Peel and finely slice the onion into strips. Add the onion to the root veg and mix well. Season with rapeseed oil, salt and black pepper.
3. Fold the baking paper and place in the oven at 180 degrees Centigrade.
4. Melt the butter in a pan, add in the sieved flour and cook gently to form a roux. Pour on the cold milk and slowly heat the mixture.
5. Wash, peel and cut the potatoes, kohlrabi and turnip into uniform 1cm cubes.
6. Add the bay leaf to the warmed milk and season well with nutmeg, salt and black pepper.
7. Add the potatoes to the roux, followed by the turnip and kohlrabi, and leave to simmer gently.
8. As soon as the potatoes have turned the milk wonderfully creamy and the vegetables are soft add in the peas and cook for a few minutes longer.
9. After approx. 35 minutes take the root veg out of the oven and remove the baking paper.
10. Finely dice the chives and add to the stew. Season to taste and serve.
11. Arrange the root veg on top of the stew.